Welcome!

This is my journey in keeping my family happy and healthy.
In this day and age, what parent knows best what to do and how to care for their family?
There are so many conflicting ideas, so much wisdom, and so many paths.
It is here that I will compile information on what I have learned and the choices I am making.
Maybe my path will help others.... or not. Enjoy!

Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

HEALTHFUL RECIPES: Whole Wheat Honey Raisin Oatmeal Cookies


Okay, so I was in the mood for something sweet and had nothing good in the house to satiate my desires. It was up to me to make something quick!

I speedily googled "healthy cookie recipes" and found this RECIPE with which to work off of. I tweaked it a bit and came up with this:

Whole Wheat Honey Raisin Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup freshly ground whole wheat flour (I had a cup leftover in my fridge)
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup raisins

Being in a rush and feeling lazy, I threw it all into the mixer at once. First I mixed it mostly that way, then I used a spoon to mix the last bits so that it would not be over-mixed, but definitely mixed. I found I had a lot of WW flour on the bottom of the bowl, so it took a bit of spoon-mixing to get it combined.

Then I used my mini cookie scoop and cookie sheet with silicone liner. Placed 12 cookies on the sheet in nice little round balls. Didn't bother flattening or anything else. Just shoved them in the oven.


I used their suggestion of 335 degrees. I didn't pre-cool (again in a rush). I'm not sure how long they cooked, but suffice to say, I looked to see that they were golden brown. :)

And Yes, they were delicious!!! Okay so the freshly ground whole wheat was a bit crunchy. I definitely need a way of grinding finer grain. But it was wonderful regardless!

And yay... I have sweets! Sweets I even feel good sharing with my 21 month old. :)


 Posted on Real Food Wednesday

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I altered the recipe!

    I added 2 tsp of vanilla instead of one. I added 2 tsp of cinnamon instead of one. Perhaps next time I'll do a full tablespoon. I did 1/3 cup coconut oil and did the rest in high fat coconut milk. The oil just had too much of an off coconut oil taste, so lowering it and adding the coconut milk really rounded out the flavor. And then I added about 1/4 cup of shredded coconut. Admittedly, I ate a bunch of the raw dough!!!!! It's delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...